How Will The Attorney Notify My Spouse?

There are three forms of notification: "service," "voluntary appearance" or publication. Service of notice can be done through certified mail, delivery by a sheriff or through publication in a newspaper. Voluntary Appearance is authorization signed by the defendant allowing the court to proceed with the case. If you do not know where your spouse is, the court may allow you to notify your spouse by publication. This means that you may, pursuant to a court order, publish a notice in the newspaper stating that you are bringing a divorce action against your spouse.