How Do I File A Claim In Small Claims Court?

To start a Small Claims Court lawsuit you must go to the County Courthouse and complete a claim form, sign it before the clerk, and pay the filing fee and service costs. You may mail a completed claim form to the clerk if you have signed it before a Nebraska Notary Public. The filing fee is $26.00 and serving the claim form on the defendant by certified mail costs approximately $5.73.

If you arrange to have the constable or sheriff serve the defendant with the petition, this will cost $20.00 to $30.00. The judge will not hear your case unless the defendant has been properly served with the claim form. You may request in your claim form that these court costs be added to the amount of money the defendant owes you. When you file your case, the clerk will give you a trial date and time about four weeks from the date you file.