How Do I Appeal A Small Claims Court Decision?

If either party is dissatisfied with the judgment of the Small Claims Court, he or she may appeal to the District Court. Certain steps must be taken to preserve the right to appeal. It is permissible for the party seeking an appeal to be represented by an attorney. Since the appeal proceedings can become fairly complicated, it is wise to consider having an attorney represent you in your appeal.

The party appealing must, within 30 days after rendition of judgment, file a notice of appeal with the clerk of the County Court and serve a copy of the notice upon the other party. A docket fee of $82 and a $50 cash bond must also be paid to the clerk. The bond will be refunded if the appealing party wins or pays the other party upon losing the appeal.

Small Claims Court appeal forms are available on the Nebraska Judicial Branch website.