How Do I Make a Discrimination Complaint?

You must first file your complaint with the Nebraska Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (NEOC), an administrative branch of the state government. The NEOC is required to make a preliminary investigation into your allegations to determine if there is reasonable cause to believe discrimination may have occurred.

An investigation by the NEOC must be complete before further legal action can be taken (such as a lawsuit). More information about this process is available at the NEOC´s website at

The NEOC office can be reached by phone at (402) 471-2024 or toll-free at 1-800-642-6112. The office is located in Lincoln at the State Office Building, 301 Centennial Mall, on the fifth floor. It is recommended to make an appointment instead of just dropping by, to ensure an NEOC representative is available to meet with you. Offices are also located in Omaha and Scottsbluff.

If you have a claim you will need to file it within 300 days of when you experienced the alleged harm. Federal law gives you 180 days.