What Can I Do If I Have Been Discriminated Against?

If you feel you have been a victim of discrimination based on race, color, gender, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual preference or marital status, you may want to discuss the legal avenues available. Contact Student Legal Services, a private attorney or one of the following sources:

Institutional Equity and Compliance
UNL Campus
128 Canfield Building 68588-0437
(402) 472-3417

Nebraska Equal Opportunity Commission
301 Centennial Mall South, 5th Floor
PO Box 94934
Lincoln, NE 68509-4934
(402) 471-2024
Toll Free: (800) 64206112
Fax: (402) 471-4059
Investigates charges of alleged discrimination

Federal Equal Opportunity Commission
1222 Spruce Ave, Rm. # 8.100
St. Louis, MO 63103

Lincoln Commission on Human Rights
555S 10th St, Ste 304
Lincoln, NE 68508
Tel: (402) 441-7624
Fax: (402) 441-6937

It is a good idea to keep a private record of the dates and events that form the basis of your charge and the names of the people involved, whether they are perpetrators or witnesses. This record will help you explain to the attorney exactly what has been going on and may be very useful if a court action results.

Do not delay in seeking legal advice. In some instances discrimination complaints must be filed within 180 days of the discriminatory act.