What Can I Do If I Am Being Sexually Harassed At Work?

Be sure to express your feelings during the incident to the person harassing you indicating that you are not interested. In your report of the incident, describe the feeling you had both during and afterwards. Immediately document in writing exactly what occurred, including verbal portions. List the names and job positions of witnesses, especially supervisory employees, and specify date and location of the incident.

Notify in writing, either your supervisor or, if that is not practical, the Affirmative Action Officer, or the Personnel Director. Provide that person with copies of the information you have gathered; be sure to keep the original. Indicate your insistence that some action be taken.

If the problem is not corrected immediately, you should file a formal complaint with the Nebraska Equal Opportunity Commission or the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission within 180 days of the incident (may be extended to 300 days if also covered by state law). The Commission will review your charge and contact you by mail or in person.

The Commission investigates your charge and if it finds it is justified, the Commission tries by conciliation to end the discrimination. If the conciliation fails, the case is sent to Public Hearing. It is forbidden by law to punish you for filing a charge, for acting as a witness, or for assisting complaint.

Though Student Legal Services attorneys do not handle sexual harassment proceedings, registered students may come into the office to discuss their situation and find resources that may be helpful.

If it is an on-campus situation, contact the Institutional Equity and Compliance.