You and your roommates arrive to look at the apartment. Here is a checklist of things to inspect:
- Does the neighborhood look safe? Talk to other tenants.
- Do all the appliances function properly? Turn them on to see if they work. Check everything including oven, burners, air conditioning,, dishwasher, clothes washer and dryer.
- How is the apartment heated, by gas or electricity? Where is the thermostat and who controls it?
- Is there evidence of a bug or rodent problem? Ask the Landlord about pest control.
- How are the laundry facilities?
- Are there good locks on the doors and windows?
- What about parking?
- Check out the bathroom and shower. Any signs of leaking?
- Check out the walls and carpets for damage.