What Other Steps Should I Take If My Identity Has Been Stolen?

Cancel your credit cards. Have a list of the credit card companies´ toll free numbers somewhere convenient so you know where to call in an emergency.

Call the local police. The Nebraska Attorney General´s Office recommends that you inform local police as well as federal law enforcement through the Federal Trade Commission. You may need to file a police report to back up the validity of your identity theft claim to your credit card and banking companies.

The Attorney General also recommends that you contact the Nebraska Public Service Commission at (402) 471-3101 to inform the Commission to watch for extra services to be added in your name with utility companies (such as with cable TV, telephone, gas, and water companies), and to cancel any unauthorized services.

If your social security number is being used illegally, then it should be reported to the Social Security Administration. A new number will be issued to you if you are the victim of identity theft, and the Social Security Fraud Hotline can be reached at 1 (800) 269-0271.

You can also put a security freeze on your credit report. A security freeze means that your file cannot be shared with potential creditors, which can help prevent identity theft. Most businesses will not open credit accounts without first checking a consumer´s credit history. If your credit files are frozen, even someone who has your name and Social Security number probably would not be able to obtain credit in your name.

If you need further legal advice, contact UNL Student Legal Services at (402) 472-3350.