2023 Election Timeline
- Monday, February 6, 2023 - Visible campaigning permitted to begin for candidates who have filed Form A and SEGs that have filed Form C
- Monday, February 13, 2023 - Preliminary Filing Deadline
- Friday, February 17, 2023 - Form B (online signature collection portal) opens
- Friday, March 3, 2023 - Eligible Voter Signature Collection Deadline
- Tuesday, March 7, 2023 and Wednesday, March 8, 2023 - General Election
- View publicly available information submitted through election forms.
Election Filing Forms
Form A: Preliminary Filing Form
All candidates for President/Student Regent, Internal Vice President, External Vice President, Senate, Committee for Fee Allocations, Green Fund Selections Committee, and Graduate Student Assembly must file Form A by 12 p.m. (noon) on the preliminary filing deadline, Friday, February 13, 2023. Candidates who file Form A by the deadline will be included on Form B beginning Saturday, February 17, 2023, in order to collect the requisite number of eligible voter signatures by 5 p.m. on the eligible voter signature deadline, March 3, 2023. Appearance on the ballot requires filing Form A by its deadline and collecting the requisite number of signatures through Form B by its deadline.
Form B: Digital Signature Collection Portal
Candidates for office must collect a requisite number of digital signatures from eligible voters after filing the preliminary filing form (Form A) by 5 p.m. on the eligible voter signature deadline, Friday, March 3, 2023, in order to appear on the ballot. Eligible voters who wish to sign their support for a candidate(s) should log into this form and select the candidates they wish to sign for.
Form C: Statement of SEG Formation
In order to exist, Student Election Groups must file Form C and Form D by 12 p.m. (noon) on the preliminary filing deadline. Form C establishes SEGs in the view of the Electoral Commission and allows the group to begin campaigning and begin the process to be recognized as an RSO to have access to services such as SOFS. Form D is a record that is used in case a candidate attempts to file as a member of an SEG without the invitation of the SEG. Many SEGs prefer to submit Form C early on to begin the recognition process but wait to submit Form D until finalizing a slate of candidates.
Form D: SEG Candidates Worksheet
In order to exist, Student Election Groups must file Form C and Form D by 12 p.m. (noon) on the preliminary filing deadline. Form C establishes SEGs in the view of the Electoral Commission. Form D is a record that is used to settle disputes in the case of a candidate attempting to file as a member of an SEG without the invitation of the SEG. Many SEGs prefer to submit Form C early on to begin the recognition process but wait to submit Form D until finalizing a slate of candidates.
All SEG forms, including Form C, Form D, Form F, and, if relevant, Form Z must be filed by the SEG Leader. You should click the header above to complete the fillable PDF and list all candidates associated with your SEG. Candidates who are not listed on this form will not have your SEG name listed next to their name on the ballot regardless of their submission on Form A, so please double and triple check your submission.
To submit, email your form to email@example.com with the subject line "[SEG name] Form D Submission" and include your name and NUID in the email.
Form F: Financial Reports
Per the Electoral Commission Rules, a full report of campaign contributions and expenditures must be provided to the Electoral Commission periodically by all SEGs and independent candidates. The reporting deadlines are:
- Preliminary Report due 5 p.m., Friday, February 13, 2023
- Must include all contributions received and expenditures made or authorized prior to Friday, February 13, 2023.
- First Interim Report due 5 p.m. Friday, March 3, 2023
- Must include all contributions received and expenditures made or authorized between Friday, February 13, 2023, and Friday, March 3, 2023.
- Final Report due 5 p.m., Monday, March 20, 2023
- Must include all contributions received and expenditures made or authorized between Friday, March 3, 2023, and Wednesday, March 8, 2023, including contributions ready for deposit and incurred expenses to be paid in the future. For candidates or slates in runoff elections, this report will include contributions received and expenditures authorized for the runoff prior to Wednesday, March 8, 2023.
- Final Run-off Report due 5 p.m. Thursday, March 23, 2023
- Must include all contributions received and expenditures made or authorized for a runoff election, except for those included in the Final Report.
Each report must be submitted whether or not contributions or expenditures have been made or authorized. You may have to log in to your Huskers email account to submit this report.
Form K: Referenda and Surveys
A survey is a question submitted by a member of the University community for response during the ASUN Student Government General Election. Because of the need to develop a ballot and publish samples, the precise language of any survey for the General Election must be delivered attached to Form K to the ASUN Director of Administration by 12 p.m. (noon) a minimum of 14 calendar days prior to an ASUN Election. In order for the survey question to appear on the ballot, the question must meet one of the following two requirements:
- The survey question must be approved by the ASUN Senate in the form of a bill at least 7 days prior to the ASUN Election.
- The survey question must be submitted in the form of a petition signed by at least one percent of eligible voters at least 14 calendar days prior to the ASUN Election. The Electoral Commission is responsible for validating the signatures on the petition.
Please see the ASUN Constitution for instructions on the processes for referenda and constitutional amendments.
Form M: Message
Any person with a comment, suggestion, complaint, or question regarding the election process is free to contact the Electoral Commission through Form M. Responses, if necessary, will be provided in a timely manner. Comments, suggestions, and questions may be submitted at any time. Complaints should be filed immediately but in any event no later than 12 p.m. (noon) March 20, 2023 for the General Election, or 12 p.m. (noon) March 23, 2023 for the Runoff Election. A response to any complaint will be made within five academic class days of submission.
Form P: Personal Information
Any student who is elected as an inactive write-in candidate must file a Personal Information Form (Form P) and any other office-specific documents within 48 hours of notification to be certified as elected. Only persons contacted and specifically directed to this form need to fill it out.
Form U: Contribution
All persons contributing or donating to a candidate or SEG must provide said candidate/SEG with an accompanying Form U. Please download and complete this form and provide it to the person to whom you are donating. Candidates/SEGs must provide an accompanying Form U in their financial reports to account for every individual contribution.
Form W: Write-In Filing Form
All individual candidates who did not complete the two-stage filing process in order to appear on the ballot but wish to run a write-in campaign must submit Form W by 4 p.m., Tuesday, March 7, 2023.
Form Z: Rights to Previous SEG Name
SEG names or acronyms cannot have been used or associated with an SEG or candidate running for any ASUN position in the previous three elections, unless valid signatures of one-half of the previous SEG candidates who are still currently enrolled UNL students are obtained and submitted along with a Rights to Previous SEG Name form (Form Z). Valid signatures must be presented to the ASUN Student Government Office by 12 p.m. (noon) two weeks before the preliminary filing deadline. See Appendix I of the Electoral Commission Rules for SEG names or acronyms that fall under this rule.
To submit, email your form to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "[SEG name] Form Z Submission" and include your name and NUID in the email.