Can My Child Choose Which Parent To Live With?

A judge will consider the age and maturity of the child when deciding whether to use the child´s parental preference. Otherwise the judge makes the decision based upon what both parents say and takes into consideration the recommendation of the Guardian Ad Litem (GAL) or other expert opinions. A GAL is usually an attorney appointed by the judge to represent the best interests of the child.